Calling all artists, art-lovers & global citizens of Ottawa! Join a growing group of diverse artists, volunteers, and community organizers who are passionate about multidisciplinary approaches to creating culture, alternative art and music spaces, and expanding cultural dialogue in the city.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO APPLIED FOR THE 2016 WINTER/SPRING INTERNSHIPS. APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. STAY TUNED OR SIGN UP FOR OUR E-MAIL LIST BELOW TO FIND OUT ABOUT OUR CALL FOR 2016 FALL INTERNSHIPS.
Deadline for applications is February 15, 2016, 11:59 p.m.
Now Accepting Applications for Winter/Spring Internships
The Possible Worlds winter/spring internship will provide you with experience and training in arts space operations. Working directly with the two owners of the space, you'll gain knowledge, skills and practical experience in programming, communications, sales and arts administration. You'll have frequent contact with art and music works , artists and audiences , and a chance to help contribute to Ottawa's burgeoning creative scene.
The range of responsibilities include:
- Assisting with space operations, including interacting with customers and collaborators, during one shift per week;
- Assisting with exhibitions, talks and workshops, including installation, coordination and identifying local opportunities;
- Merchandising, display and inventory of works in the shop and gallery; and
- Graphic design and website maintenance.
Selected candidates must be able to work shifts in the shop in a customer-facing role for 3-6 hours/week, as well as an additional 3-4 hours/week for other responsibilities outlined above. Internships are between three to six months. Candidates will ideally be available to start in March but we are open to a later start date in April. Applications may also be kept on file for internship opportunities available in summer/fall 2016. Please note this is currently an unpaid internship.
The ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with the public and working in a dynamic arts environment. Experience in at least two of the four areas of responsibilities identified above is desirable. An interest in contemporary art, culture and design - mainly visual arts, graphic arts and music - is essential. A knowledge and understanding of the emerging artist community in Ottawa would be beneficial.
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate or graduate student, recent graduate or emerging artist with background in the arts, humanities, social sciences, education, communications, or business administration
- Interest in contemporary art, culture and design - mainly visual arts, graphic arts, and music
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing) skills
- Able to work independently, with a team, and remotely
- Flexible and positive attitude; open-minded and curious
- Reliable, hard-working, and able to meet deadlines
- A quick learner.
- Knowledge or interest in graphic art, print and/or DJ culture
- Knowledge and understanding of the emerging artist community in Ottawa
- Work or volunteer experience in a retail or arts environment
- Knowledge of music or DJ equipment
- Work or volunteer experience in designing public programming (e.g. workshops, talks)
- Work or volunteer experience in using tools to install works and shop fixtures
- Work or volunteer experience in maintaining websites, blogs and social media
- Work or volunteer experience designing graphics for arts-focused groups
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Knowledge of video editing software
- Bilingual (English and French), or fluent in English and an additional language.
We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your (1) resume and (2) a cover letter that details in 200 words or less:
- why you are interested in being an intern
- any relevant work or volunteer experience
- web links to your portfolio, personal website or social media account
- 3 references
- your availability.
We thank everyone who applies; successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline for applications is February 15, 2016, 11:59 p.m..